1. Use on bare, untreated or pressure-treated wood. No special surface preparation is needed. If wood is finished with a sealer or lacquer-type product, the old sealer will need to be removed by sanding in order to allow Eco-Safe to penetrate wood surface.
2. Solution can be applied by brush, roller, sponge, sprayer or by dipping. Make sure to cover all surfaces well, especially rough or cracked surfaces, end grains and fresh cuts.
3. Some of the product may not completely dissolve, this is normal. If using a sprayer, allow product to stand for 5 minutes, stir again, and then screen the mixed solution before spraying. This will help avoid blockages in the spraying equipment.
4. Some wood types will not show an immediate change in color. This is normal. Color will change and deepen over 1-2 weeks, and especially with repeated exposure to sun and rain.
5. Additional applications are not necessary to enhance protective qualities of Eco-Safe. Once final color has been achieved, it is possible to deepen color by reapplication. Sometimes, areas missed by initial application are then affected by product migrating with rain, so any unevenness disappears with time.
6. Eco-Safe Wood Treatment works in a complementary and synergistic way with Eco-Safe Wood Guard, our wood-boring insect protectant. Both of these products effectively treat wood to preserve and protect it naturally but in different ways. Eco-Safe Wood Treatment extends the lifetime of wood, protecting and preserving, as well as providing a natural stain, while Eco-Safe Wood Guard treats, prevents, and controls against wood-boring insects, also providing additional protection from fungus, and rot. You can mix Eco-Safe Wood Treatment and Eco-Safe Wood Guard into the same solution and apply simultaneously.
7. To artificially age wood to match older wood, apply Eco-Safe lightly, and consider using additional applications to fine-tune color.
8. For marine applications or projects where wood may be in constant contact with soil, moisture or water, consider applying Eco-Safe by dipping to ensure complete coverage, or apply additional coats.
9. Mix only what you need for a project. Although the mixed solution will stay active and usable if kept in a non-metal sealed container, it's less convenient to save than the dry product, which has no expiry and is shelf stable for a long time.