1. Use on bare, untreated or pressure-treated wood. No special surface preparation is needed. If wood is finished with a sealer or lacquer-type product, the old sealer will need to be removed by sanding in order to allow Weathered Wood Finish™ to penetrate wood surface. Remove visible glue.
2. Solution can be applied by brush, roller, sponge, sprayer or by dipping. Make sure to cover all surfaces well, especially rough or cracked surfaces, end grains and fresh cuts. Cover intended surfaces well.
3. Some wood species will not show an immediate change in color. Within 24 hours, the treated wood will have achieved most of its finished colour. Color will change and deepen over 1-2 weeks.
4. Different wood species will come to different final colours. Lighter woods like fir, pine, poplar and birch come to a lighter driftwood color, while oak and mahogany change to a deeper blue-gray driftwood colour. Color effects range from light or dark silver-gray and blue-gray, to light or dark silvery green-brown or silvery-brown.
5. Eco-Safe Weathered Wood Finish™ can be used to age finish of repairs to match original item, or to artificially age a wood project.
6. To deepen color, reapply Weathered Wood Finish™ after the initial coat has dried.
7. To produce a lighter color, and to reduce blue tones, add a pinch of baking soda into mixture.
8. You might want to start with a half-strength mixture to test the reactiveness of the wood. It's easy to reapply in order to darken the stain, but is difficult to lighten once stained.
9. Not recommended for particle board, balsa, parawood, rubberwood, or Malaysian oak.
10. Using a finish (linseed oil, urethane, wax, etc.) over top of this treatment may significantly darken the final color of the treatment. Be sure to test on an inconspicuous area first.
11. Product can permanently stain cement, so protect with a dropcloth or similar if using near cement and concrete.
12. Clean-up with soap and water. Weathered Wood Finish™ does not contain any environmental contaminants.
13. Extra product can be stored indefinitely in dry form. Mixed product can be stored in an airtight non-metallic container, like a glass mason jar, for about 3 months. For convenient storage mix only what you need for a project. It's 1.5 teaspoons per cup of water.